Wednesday 13 June 2012

Dear BT - an open letter about your service


Dear BT

You have some good people working for you who try and be helpful but their best efforts are being frustrated by a truly awful telephone service.

How not to design a telephone service:

  1.  Print a number on the bill for faults which is incorrect.
  2. Ask for the number of the line I am calling about at the beginning and then not give that to the advisor so they ask for it straight away
  3. Put a recorded message at the beginning of the call saying “use our web site instead” and repeat that after every option I press. Do you think we want to phone you?
  4. Ask me a whole series of security questions before you even know what I am ringing about.
  5. Ask me whether I want to give feedback after the call and then ignore my answer.
  6. Have an IVR structure that has a lot of dead ends that don’t lead to talking to a human being. Have you ever actually tried to ring yourself?
  7. Don’t fix the problem I ring about but do that in a very polite manner.
  8. Hide previous call notes from your people so they have to start again each time.
  9. Send me a text to call message saying the fault is fixed when it is not and your own notes say it is not.
  10. Monitor Twitter for feedback, say you will help and then don’t follow through.



Amazingly, you do all these things! A spectacular achievement.

Get some help!

Gary Price

No comments:

Post a Comment